Advancing sustainable schools for all
June 28-29, 2021
The Green Schools Conference (GSC) is the only event to bring together all the players involved in making green schools a reality: people who lead, operate, build and teach in schools.
This year the Green Schools Conference will convene virtually over two half-days of programming, featuring inspiring keynotes, interactive education sessions and engaging peer group networking opportunities.
The conference will address topics such as design for sustainability education and social equity, healthy schools and COVID response, empowering student leadership, achieving climate commitments, and much more. Whether you are a teacher, school or district staff, educational leader, parent, student, building industry professional, or non-profit partner, the Green Schools Conference is the premier opportunity to learn and engage.
For general questions please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org
2020 Post Show Report
The virtual Green Schools Conference - to be hosted June 28-29, 2021 - will provide an unmatched opportunity for green school leaders to convene to share new ideas and strategies for advancing environmental and sustainability literacy and transforming schools into healthier, more sustainable places to learn.
Call for Proposals
Share your knowledge by presenting an education session. We are now accepting sessions proposals from experienced presenters to be part of the Green Schools Conference program. Before submitting a session, please read the Call for Education Session Proposals, Submittal Guide and Program Policies documents linked below for information on topic priorities, session formats, and scoring policies.
Session Proposals are due by March 15, 2021 at 11:59 p.m. EST
Submit a Proposal
Call for Speakers
To design this year’s event to be most responsive to the needs of the green school community during a year characterized by change, the Call for Speakers will solicit applications and nominations for subject matter experts on priority topics that are identified on an on-going basis.
Throughout the month of February, a series of Green Schools Summits will gather input from key audiences – educators, facility managers, building designers and school leaders – on the critical challenges they face today. At the end of each Summit, the Call for Speakers will be updated to reflect new priority topics and will collect applications and/or nominations for subject matter experts willing to speak to them.
GSC will review these applications to select the most relevant speakers to address these topics during the Green Schools Conference in June to provide timely resources and education for green schools’ leaders.
Please review the current priority topics below. This list will be updated weekly in February with new or refocused priorities.
Note: The Call for Speakers is designed to collect applications/nominations from subject matter experts independent from a full session who are willing to speak about the specific priority topics outlined below. If you are interested in submitting a proposal for a full education session, please refer to the Call for Proposals information above.
Current Priority Topics
School Leader Focused
- Models and exemplars of schools where social-emotional learning and sustainability mindsets are integrally connected
- Models and exemplars where trauma-informed teaching and learning have led to action competence
- Large district exemplars where equity and sustainability have become interwoven in strategy and action
- Historic barriers and perceptions that prevent school leaders from connecting the concepts of sustainable development and anti-racism
- Models or exemplars for how teachers, schools, or districts have “outdoor-ified” curriculum and teaching practices, making it easier for teachers to bring students outside to learn
- Models or exemplars for integrating interdisciplinary Education for Sustainability into everyday teaching and learning across a school system, so that all students can benefit equitably
- Strategies for ensuring that all students have equitable opportunity for outdoor experiences
Building Industry Professional Focused
- Strategies for using green buildings to educate students about climate change
- Models or exemplars for high-quality community-engaged school design and school design that centers equity
- Strategies for school districts to set goals and monitor for equity in the distribution of green design and construction projects/investment
- Technical explanation of the various combined strategies that are available or will soon be available to get to zero carbon schools
Facilities and Sustainability Staff Focused
- Science-based presentation about the possible impacts on schools from climate change
- Educator or school leader who can speak about how climate justice can be incorporated into curriculum and/or can inspire students to action
- Facility planner/designer working on school building projects to speak on changes to design standards and strategies to accommodate the climate crisis and the future risk of infectious disease crises
Speaker Nominations and Applications are due by March 22, 2021 at 11:59 p.m. EST
Apply/Nominate a Speaker
Call for Reviewers
Apply to be a peer reviewer. Peer reviewers evaluate session proposals and help maintain the quality of sessions by identifying exceptional presentations. Session reviewers receive discounted conference registration. Before applying, please read the Call for Reviewers Document linked below for information on the review process and reviewer requirements.
Peer Reviewer Applications are due by March 8, 2021 at 11:59 p.m. EST
Apply to be a Reviewer
- Tuesday, Jan. 26 – Call opens for session proposals and peer reviewer applications
- Tuesday, Feb. 9 – Call opens for speakers to apply for specific topic areas
- Monday, March 1 – Deadline for peer reviewer applications
- Monday, March 8 – Deadline for session proposal submissions and speaker applications
- Monday, March 8 – Notifications sent for accepted peer reviewers
- Thursday, March 25 – Round 1 peer reviewers must complete reviews of submissions
- Thursday, April 8 – Round 2 peer reviewers must complete reviews of submissions
- Week of April 19 – Notifications sent for accepted session proposals and speakers
For questions regarding the GSC Program, please email email@example.com.
View our 2020 keynote speakers
Women in Green Breakfast
Join the educators and green building leaders responsible for advancing green schools worldwide and sponsor the 2021 Green Schools Conference. For the first time, GSC will be global and virtual, greatly expanding upon the hundreds of educators and decision-makers who have gathered at GSC for inspiring programming and networking for the last ten years.
This the only conference uniting three groups vital to the success of green schools:
Academic (School Leaders, Teachers, Parents and Non-profit Partners)
Operations (General School or District Administrators, Facilities Operations Management)
Building design & construction (Architects, Engineers, Contractors, Product Suppliers)
Green Schools Conference sponsors enjoy prominent branding on our virtual platform, in education sessions, and through unique networking events. As a sponsor, you can engage with sustainability leaders and demonstrate your support for healthy, high-performing schools, all while empowering the green leaders of tomorrow.
The 2021 prospectus is coming soon. For more information, signal your interest here or contact Kasey Page at firstname.lastname@example.org.
View our 2020 sponsors and exhibitors
The Green Schools Conference thrives on the collaboration and partnership of supporting organizations nationwide. GSC is produced by the Center for Green Schools at USGBC in partnership with Green Schools National Network.
View our 2020 partners
The Green Schools Conference will be held virtually on June 28-29, 2021. Early bird rates applicable through May 14, 2021.
(after May 14)
|PreK-12 School or District/Government/Nonprofit Employee
Group Rates: A special discount of 10% off your order is available for groups of 5 or more from a single company, school, district or organization. Contact us for details.
Attending the Green Schools Conference is an investment that will benefit not only you, but your school, district or company. The materials below offer a greater understanding of GSC and how to communicate the value it provides. Please feel free to customize and use them to request approval to attend the conference.